Thursday, January 4, 2018

Model Disciple!!!!!!!

John gives us an example of the "model disciple". In today's Gospel we speak of vocation, of God who calls us to himself. The first step is to hear the voice of Jesus; someone tells us: "Here is the lamb of God!". And, like the two disciples, we begin to follow him. Then Jesus turns to us and asks us: "What are you looking for?". In response we must say: "Where do you live?".

Let us remember the words of Saint Augustine and repeat them: "Our hearts are restless until they rest in you". At the beginning of our life as disciples, Jesus gives us this invitation: "Come and see". In many pages of the Old Testament the Lord's invitation to return to him, to abandon bad habits and to turn back to him is remembered. God desires the return of his rebellious children.

Later, in the fullness of time, in the mystery of the Incarnation, God calls us again, with simple words so that we can understand: "Come!" Following Jesus and becoming his disciples we walk towards a goal, we give meaning to our earthly life: the ultimate goal is to unite with God and stay with him for eternity. Praying at Gethsemane Jesus says: "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they may contemplate my glory, that which you have given me; for you loved me before the creation of the world "(Jn 17:24).

No comments: