Monday, August 15, 2016

A good man -------buys biscuits for me




I am a sugar patient(Diabetic) and sometimes the sugar level comes down and then you need to eat some sweet things.....On Saturday afternoon i was travelling from Vizag to Vijayawada by an AC bus and about half an hour later i began to feel uncomfortable, sweating and throat became dry. I drank water but i knew that i have to eat some sweets which i did not have. In the bus the conductor was selling some biscuits and i ordered one packet. I looked for some money in my wallet but i did not have. I had to pay him 30 rupees. I had big notes which he did not accept as he did not have change. Then i decided not to buy. The co-passenger sitting next me, a young man, realised that i need them urgently, called the conductor. He bought the packet of Biscuits and paid from his own packet and offered me. I was reluctant to receive but with a gratitude i accepted. I thanked him profusely after finishing the packet. I offered him too but he refused saying that it was your need to eat due to low sugar. He then enquired throughout the journey about my sugar level which came back to normal. 

He got off the bus on the way. I thanked him again. He only smiled because he did not speak neither English nor Hindi. I don't speak Telgu either. Language is not a barrier to do good. To serve and love someone barriers are not be created. Caste creed, color are not to be used in loving and serving the Other. We have to go beyond all this. Jesus did it and he is inviting us meet and experience him in the needy and forgotten. Our Indian President, in his Independence speech said that a society is civilized when everyone is treated equally and not abandoned or neglected because he is different from me.

The other day our Indian Channels were showing an accident early morning on the streets of Delhi. A young man walking on the side of the road was knocked down by a tempo. He was lying on the road. The tempo driver got off from the vehicle and began looking at his own vehicle for the damage. He did not even bother to care for the dying man, the civil hospital and police stations were at a stones throw away. Worse is that passersby all saw but no one became a good samaritan, Where is humaness is gone? Where is love and sensibility towards the others. One shameless man picks up the mobile of the victim and walks away happily instead of helping an injured man. The police arrived after one hour, the victim was rushed to the hospital dead. ......like this man ...there are many who die due to negligence and lack of love. He or she does not belong to me so i don't have to care. Not a good attitude for a civilised society.

No comments: