Friday, September 13, 2013

Feast of Holy Cross


My parish is dedicated to Holy Cross where i received all my sacraments and also celebrated my First Holy Mass. It is situated on a small little hillock overlooking a large Lake and beyond the Lake is Arabian sea. The Church was built in 1587 and underwent a renovation in 18th century. I owe a lot to the Parish because it is there i learnt everything about life. I did my schooling in the parish school which is dedicated to Holy Cross. The feast celebration which i will not forget as it was something that we waited for. The previous day in the evening after nine days novenas we would have a procession with lighted candles and small crosses in our hands. The Crosses were prepared either of coconunt leaf, twigs or wood. It was something that excited us as we went around singing hymns in honor of the Holy Cross. Cross is the symbol of Love and sacrifice. Cross is the sign of our Religion and we must honor. These were the things preached and taught to us in our Sunday Catecheism classes. Unfortunately today the Holy Cross has become a symbol of fashion for some who misuse it. I have a personal experience:
It happened in 1981, travelling from Bombay to bangalore alone for my first year of Philosophy studies. I got into train and to my great delight and relief i saw the compartment full with young boys and girls all wearing big cross around the neck. i concluded that they were Christians belonging to some organization. Once the train moved out of the station i wishes all and addressed them as brothers and sisters, They were taken by surprise and said that they were not brothers belonging to a seminary. My next question was whether they belonged to some Portestant church, to which they nodded negatively. My queries went on, finally they told me that they were non-christians. My big question was: WHY ARE YOU WEARING A CROSS. ANSWER: WEARING A CROSS IN COLLEGES IS A FASHION. I was hurt and did not want them to let go without knowing the real meaning of the Cross. Twent four hours journey was more than sufficient to communicate the message, I did that. Some of them were emotional when they heard the story of the Cross and crucifixon of Jesus. Cross is not an object to be hanged around our neck, to be erected infront of our houses and institutions. It is Cross which has brought redemption and liberation. Jesus invited us to CARRY THE CROSS AND NOT TO WEAR THE CROSS.
crucifixbeautiful cross photo: Cross 96410.jpg

No comments: